Saturday, July 25, 2015

Week 1: Let's get this thing started

June 28 - July 4

Sunday: San Juan 8 miles
Start Time: 5:30 am
Starting Temperature: 93 degrees
Post-run Fuel: Pancakes, bacon, and rosemary potatoes at Matt's Big Breakfast
Notes: I decided to count this toward marathon training, even though I'm a day early. I only needed to do 5 miles, so I'm already kind of an over-achiever.


Tuesday: Running for Brews 5-miler
Start Time: 7:00 pm
Starting Temperature: 103 degrees
Post-run Fuel: Strawberry Bottle Rocket beer
Notes: Upon moving to Tempe, I urgently shopped around for running clubs. I enjoy running alone, but I knew I would need some social motivation, especially when the truly long runs kicked in. Running for Brews is the first club I tried out a few weeks ago. They have weekly themes, this one being "Red, White, and Brew" in honor of the upcoming 4th of July holiday. Most runners in this group run 3 miles, but there's a 5-miler group that I joined this week. And afterwards everyone has beer.
Craig: "I get the feeling you'll be drinking a lot of beer during marathon training."



Wednesday: Aravaipa 3-miler
Start Time: 6:30 pm
Starting Temperature: 99 degrees
Post-run Fuel: Orange Bomb beer and potato chips
Notes: My first run with this trail-running group. I went with the super-duper fun group, which was a little too "fun" (slow) for me, but that's okay. My goal was to stay on track without getting lost and twisting an ankle. Mission: accomplished. I also met someone from the TLC hiking group, who of course knows friend Jill, thus continuing to support my "7 degrees of separation from Jill Diamond" theory. Finally, I've learned quickly that running groups in this area seem to really really like group pictures.



Friday: Tempe Town Lake 3-mile loop
Start Time: 8:00 am
Starting Temperature: 90 degrees
Post-run Fuel: Cereal
Notes: I love that I can run around a lake on a regular basis.

Saturday: 7 1/2 miles to Liz's, with some detours to make it a 10-miler
Start Time: 5:30 am
Starting temperature: 89 degrees
Post-run Fuel: Liz's homemade french toast, bacon, and raspberry lemonade
Notes: Getting to Liz's was easy, but getting out of Tempe was no small feat. Tempe Town Lake hosts a fireworks show, and the park was already starting to close off. I entered the park without any issue, but then got stuck trying to get out a mile down the path. I finally found an exit, blocked by long folding tables. There was a man standing guard. As I arrived at the tables, the man scolded a couple of teenagers trying to enter. "I'm just trying to leave!" I politely proclaimed, as I ducked under a table and ran off.
Now that we moved to Tempe, I live a mere 7 and a half miles from Lizbeth, my mom's cousin who also happens to be my only family here in Arizona. Liz is an amazing host, and she didn't disappoint on this 4th of July.


Total marathon miles: 29 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment