More recently, I have kept charts for flossing my teeth, eating fruits and vegetables, and my running/rehab exercises (further evidence that I am still a huge nerd). For 2010, my New Year's resolution was to keep track of where all my money goes. I kept receipts and looked closely at each month's bank statement so that I could categorize my expenses. I tracked all of this for a full year and finally got around to summarizing everything a few weeks ago. With some assistance, I even made myself a nifty little pie chart.
Overall, I'm pleased with the results. Bills and savings are my top two expenses. My main goal of this tracking was to see where I could cut spending without decreasing my overall quality of life. I believe there is still room for improvement here. I made a chart excluding my savings and bills so I could better compare all my other spending.

In this chart, my top expenses are: my car, grocery store food, fitness, hobbies, and health. Most of these are necessities for me. Buying healthy foods, joining a gym, going to the doctor/dentist and engaging in my hobbies are all things that make my life better and are investments for the future. Someday, I would like my car expenses to go down, but I don't think I can significantly decrease car-related spending at this time. I have started taking the bus, but I have to pay my car insurance regardless. If I were to target one area that has room for improvement, it would be going out to eat. Though it is a mere 4% of my total expenses, I think that I could cut this area in half without reducing quality of life. In fact, cooking at home more and eating out less would probably improve my overall quality of life.
I am glad I took the time to look at where all my money is going. The results were useful and I now have a good baseline to look at for the future. Craig and I regularly talk about our future and some of that includes the possibility of moving to a much smaller city. Leaving the big city of Phoenix could mean a decrease in income. A goal I have for myself is to never feel trapped in a job for fear of losing an income and lifestyle that I have become dependent upon. Becoming more aware of my expenses and where expenses can be cut is a good first step for me to meet that goal.

As you know, driving less does indeed cut expenses, though it doesn't much impact your wallet now—save for the few extra tanks of gas you're not buying. When I owned a car, I thought of each mile I drove as killing my car just a little bit; by driving too many miles, eventually I would need new tires, a new timing belt, new oil, and so on. Depreciation is a big expense; there's good reason why professional accountants keep track of it.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I don't remember you telling me that you tracked sneezes by location! That is nerdy. Have you considered tracking all the data you track? (Be sure to include the tracking-tracking data in the tracking-tracking data.)
Laura, have you used mint.com before? It can link up all your accounts and savings and keep track of everything for you!
ReplyDeleteLaura, it's good to get to know a little about you! I followed a link to your blog from Craig's blog (we went to high school together). I was curious whether you ever pinpointed a cause(s) for your sneezing. I notice my boys all sneeze when we walk past Sweet Gum trees, which are planted in front of our YMCA and our library!
ReplyDeleteHi, Lindsey! I never identified a cause of the sneezes. I think they were fairly spread out, though a lot happened at my job at a bagel store. I am allergic to dust, so I am guessing it was just a general allergy to everything dusty. I don't know what a Sweet Gum tree is, but it's funny that you were able to identify the trees as an allergen!
ReplyDelete