T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
Miles of dirt road
to drive to the trail.
'Fore we had started
Already felt frail.
Less than 1 mile
Rus'ling gave a scare.
Looked up from the trail
Saw eyes of a bear.
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
Two miles of uphill
Three more, none were flat
Craig losing the big grin
'Neath adventure hat.
Found a place to camp
With full moon so bright
Hard to sleep for long
In a big spot light.
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
Next morning we woke
And faced one more kink:
Stagnant creek water.
We'd little to drink.
Still we trekked onward,
Continued our loop.
We would not give up
Though our smiles did droop.
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
Then Craig turned around
And faced me with fright
Rattlesnake on trail
Was ready to bite.
This angry reptile
Would not let us pass.
Ratt'ling continued
Till we left trail fast.
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I
No one would join us
But I don't know why
I snapped a photo
While Craig hiked around.
He saw one more snake
Slither by on the ground.
Trail kept on hiding
Bushwacking galore!
Scratches all over.
Couldn't take much more.
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I
No one would join us
But I don't know why
That's it! We exclaimed.
Enough was enough.
We were not equipped
To handle this stuff.
We turned back around
From where we had come.
Craig wore “Five Fingers”*
So his feet were done.
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
Trail vanished once more
Making our nerves grate.
Some animal bones
Warned us of our fate.
This hike lost its charm.
Morale was quite low.
Until the sign said
One mile to go!
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
We're going to live!
Craig and I smiled wide.
The car came in view.
We knew we'd survived.
With great joy we talked
About things we'd done.
What an adventure
We had so much fun!
We went on a hike
T'was just Craig and I.
No one would join us
But I don't know why.
Quite an odyssey
ReplyDeleteawesome poem Laura! :)
ReplyDeleteSince you are my niece I can say I love the poem. If you were my offspring there would be altogether different thoughts.
ReplyDeleteAunt Geri said it well... Nice poem..., Where are you hiking...? I think I know why no one would join you and do wonder if this poem is your attempt at continued 1 on 1 time with Craig. I am not motivated to go on this hike with you. I am however happy for your adventurous life. The bear, maybe, but rattlesnakes!!! Do not tell me where you went because someday I do want to take a hike out there and would like to pretend there are no rattlesnakes. Put me face to face with a bear I have my mace, but a rattlesnake I would give myself a heart attack.
ReplyDeleteChad - indeed!
ReplyDeleteLynn - Thank you. I'm happy to have you as a reader.
Geri and Ruth - My mom didn't like hearing about the trip. On the positive side, I finally got some motivation to learn how to use my snake bite kit. This was my first experience with a rattlesnake out in the wild. Personally, I felt safer around the bears and snakes than on the drive home. This particular stretch of freeway is filled with hills and turns and semis.
That's a great poem!
ReplyDeleteI sincerely appreciate every single thing about this poem.
ReplyDelete